In 1758, Elder Jacob Tanner (Donner) organized a church south of York called the Codorus Church. About 1770, Henry Neff was ordained and took over leadership of the congregation. At that time the Codorus congregation had thirty-five members.
From 1770 until 1872 this congregation worshipped in the homes of the members. Several homes still stand in which the evidence of being able to remove partitions for worship services is still apparent. From 1872 to September 25, 1966 the Codorus congregation worshipped in a brick structure that was where the lower parking lot is now located.
Rev. David C. Wilson became the first full time pastor of the congregation in July 1957. During the years of his pastorate, it became apparent that enlargement of the facilities was necessary for the growing church. Rev. William L. Gould came to Codorus from Lebanon on December 1, 1963. He and the congregation set out immediately to take steps toward building. A plateau was created along the hillside and the new structure began to rise from the valley in the fall of 1965. The first service of worship was conducted on September 25, 1966 in the new church.
In 1970, Jimmy R. Ross was called as pastor of Codorus and served the congregation for thirteen years. Don Rummel then became pastor and served for three years. Joe Detrick was called in 1988 and served until he was called to become the District Executive for Southern Pennsylvania District in 1998. It was during his pastorate that Ruth Fitz was called for Youth minister and Nancy Jones was called for Minister of Congregational Care. Robert Dell came to Codorus as an interim pastor and served until September 1999 when a call was extended to become the Senior Pastor. Following Pastor Dell’s retirement in 2007, Codorus called Eric Ritenour as Associate Pastor and Rick Fischl as Senior Pastor. After the resignation of Eric Ritenour, the call was given to Ben Godfrey to become the Pastor of Nurture.
Codorus is the mother church of all the Brethren work in the York area. Directly growing out of the congregation are York First, Shrewsbury, New Fairview and Pleasant View. From New Fairview, the church at Yorkana was established, and from York First grew Madison Avenue and York Second.
Codorus Church has become known as A Light In The Valley. Throughout its rich history, with service projects, church planting, sportsmanship, prayer and worship, the mission of Codorus is to spread His light not just in the valley, but also all over the world.